Avant Garde Rules & Regulations
Avant Garde is about breaking boundaries, elevating artistry and creating extraordinary looks. The NAHA Avant Garde category recognizes hairstylists that create artistic, innovative, unique and experimental concepts that push our collective consciousness
about what hair can do.
NEW FOR 2021: Any material that is a headpiece, hair ornament or art worn on the head is allowed if it does not restrict viewing of the hair AND/OR is constructed out of natural or synthetic hair.
- Wigs are allowed.
- Natural and Synthetic hair extensions and hair pieces are allowed. (Note: Any material that is a headpiece, hair ornament or art worn on the head is allowed if it does not restrict viewing of the hair AND/OR is constructed out of natural or synthetic
- May use one or more models
- Must showcase three unique looks
- Signed NAHA Avant-Garde Release Form
- All images must be in JPEG (.jpg) format
- Images must be 8x10 inches with a resolution of 300DPI (CMPI not accepted)
- Three Unedited, Unretouched Images
- Three Final Images
- Retouching of the image’s color is allowed*
- Retouching of the hair’s shape, texture or color is not allowed.
- Technical Skill 50%
- Cohesive Collection 20%
- Creativity 30%
*Special Photographic Effects are allowed as long as they do not hinder the judges viewing of the hair