Hairstylist of the Year
Honoring the next generation of talent and innovation, the Student Hairstylist of the Year category showcases student stylists still in school who demonstrate outstanding vision, creativity, and artistry.
- The Student Hairstylist of the Year category is restricted to students currently enrolled in cosmetology school or performing required hours in a salon as of June 6, 2022, and not licensed as of November 9, 2022.
NOTE: Images entered in the Student Hairstylist of the Year cannot be entered into any other category.
- Wigs are allowed.
- Natural and Synthetic hair extensions and hair pieces are allowed. (Note: Any material that is a headpiece, hair ornament or art worn on the head is NOT allowed.)
- May use one or more models
- A collection of three looks. The collection must demonstrate knowledge of working with: long hair, short hair, up-styling, cutting and coloring and texture (wavy, curly, coily – the final look may show the hair in its natural state of wavy, curly, coily or manipulated into a straight look).
- Signed NAHA Student Hairstylist of the Year Release Form
- All images must be in JPEG (.jpg) format
- Images must be 8x10 inches with a resolution of 300DPI (CMPI not accepted)
- Three before images*
- Three unedited, non-retouched Images
- Three final images
- Retouching of the image’s color is allowed**
- Retouching of the hair’s shape, texture or color is not allowed.
*NOTE: Before images must be taken on the same day of service. If using a wig, before images may be taken on a mannequin head or on your model.
**NOTE: Special Photographic Effects are allowed as long as they do not hinder the judges viewing of the hair.
- Photos should display the harmony between the photographer’s execution and the student’s creativity.
- Does the work exhibit a breadth of the student’s talent as an artist?